FGASA Jobs and Mentoring
Your career is waiting
The Field Guides association of Southern Africa is committed to the training of gold-standard guides and ensuring that world-class hospitality, professionalism and safari experiences are delivered to any local or international tourist set on enjoying our incredible natural heritage. If you are a qualified Nature Guide looking for employment or an employer looking for top-notch guides, you’ve come to the right place!
Have a look at our job space below and see if any of these postings are the right fit for you!
We’re seeking and energetic, passionate guide to join our team of conservation professionals at the Askari Wilderness Conservation Programme in Limpopo, South Africa.
This is a busy, rewarding job that requires both professional and personal skills. While the successful candidate will be living and working in the bush, the majority of the guide’s time will be spent with people! We are a small team at Askari and as such, there will be the sharing of responsibilities and overlap between the team’s roles.
The ideal candidate is professional, shows leadership qualities, responsible, motivated, pro-active, organised, flexible and takes initiative.
The candidate must have good command of the English language in both spoken and written communications.
Please note the location is remote, being 75km from Hoedspruit, Tzaneen and Phalaborwa.
Key Roles and Responsibilities:
• Lead reserve management and conservation programmes
• Guide, teach and train volunteers in the skills they need to partake in the programme
• Conduct wildlife monitoring activities including herbivores, predators…etc
• Hosting of meals and social activities
• Lead town trips and day excursions
• Basic knowledge of building and vehicle maintenance
• Staff management
• Nyala breeding camp management
The candidate needs to have meet the following minimum requirements:
• FGASA Nature Site Guide NQF2 or higher
• South African citizen or foreign citizen in possession of a valid South African work permit
• Driver’s license
• Valid first aid certificate
• Minimum two years of experience guiding or similar role
• Nature or science related national diploma (NQF 6 or higher)
Preference will be given to candidates with the following:
• BSc or higher education degree (NQF 7) related to nature, wildlife, ecology, the environment…etc
• SAPS Rifle competency
The successful candidate will receive the following benefits:
• Competitive salary (dependent on qualifications, level and experience)
• On-site accommodation and meals provided (including internet access via Wi-Fi)
• Medical aid contribution
• Option for company pension fund
Please send your applications including detailed CV with references and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close: 5 March 2024
Start date: Immediate
Two Field Guides urgently required for competitive busy group of Lodges working from the Manyoni Private Game Reserve in KZN.
Work from a rotation of busy lodges but keep “your” guests for the duration of their stay. Considerate and respectful handling of noisy children and less-mobile elderly guests will help your tips double your basic pay.
The guides will be responsible for Big-5 drives, hosting and scripted group presentations for elephant interaction included, with general maintenance and vehicle care tasks. Preferred candidates actively working towards lead trails guide.
Candidates applying should have the following:
• FGASA Nature Site Guide NQF2 or higher
• FGASA Trails Guide NQF2/4 or actively working towards lead trails guide (Apprentice Trails Guide programme)
• Valid ARH and PFTCs
• Valid First Aid certificate
• Valid PrDP
• Must be registered with NDT
Guides will receive single room accommodation in shared houses, meals provided. Provident fund after 3-month probation. 7 days off per month and 15 days annual leave.
Please email your cover letter, CV and written references to Craig Lee at GM@BayeteZulu.co.za
Sunway Safaris operates small group mobile overland safaris throughout Southern Africa. With 29 years in overland operations we have offices in Johannesburg and Maun (Botswana).
Sunway guides have a wide range of opportunities, from leading bush walks in the Okavango to open 4WD game drives in the Botswana national parks, from exploring the Namib desert to dhow sailing off Mozambique coast, from Drakensberg hikes to Lower Zambezi canoeing – we offer the best safari guiding opportunity!
We are currently looking for young, dynamic individuals with strong personalities and the ability to work under the pressure of client demands. We will consider both experienced tour leaders and newly qualified guides. Gain guiding experience with “on the road” training provided. Join our dynamic company and work as part of a team of two guides on each truck. German language skill an advantage but not essential but good English communication skills a must.
Mask Expeditions is an adventure travel company specializing in small
group safaris. We offer a variety of exciting adventure tours – including
walking, hiking, cycling and specialist game viewing safaris.
We are currently looking to hire guides able to lead a variety of tours
throughout Southern Africa.
Candidates need to be confident and dynamic individuals, with good
communication skills passionate about guiding and South Africa.
We will consider both experienced tour leaders and newly qualified guides.
Minimum requirements are the following:
• Candidate must be at least 21 years old
• Be a registered FGASA field guide or DEAT registered tour guide
• Candidate must have a valid 1st Aid certificate
• Driver’s license – C1 (code 10)
• Valid PDP
• Genuinely fit individuals who can hike and cycle if required
• Willing to travel and work under pressure of demanding clients
• Experience in camp craft and the ability to prepare meals for groups
Please send your CVs through to Peter Albert on: email@example.com
Calling all aspiring Field Guides, Apprentice Trails Guides, and aspiring SKS DG Trails Guides! Noelle van Muiden, founder of Tchagra Trails and a FGASA-endorsed Mentor and Assessor, invites you to embark on a unique journey through her specialised trails workshops and experiences. Tchagra Trails has wealth of experience that ensures you understand the intricacies of the Trails Guide career path. Tchagra Trails is adept at preparing you for leading guests on bushwalks, backpack trails, and primitive trails.
Apart from comprehensive walking guide training, Tchagra Trails provides prep courses in Track and Sign, and Trailing. Additionally, they conduct practical assessments for FGASA Nature Site Guide NQF2, FGASA Field Guide NQF4, and FGASA Trails Guide qualifications.
For guides situated within the Greater Kruger’s APNR (Associated Private Nature Reserves), Tchagra Trails does not tack on extra travel costs. However, for courses and assessments outside of the APNR, guides may be subject to additional travel expenses.
Embark on your Trails Guide journey with Tchagra Trails, where expertise meets professionalism!
For more information and/or for bookings please email Tchagra Trails on: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information and bookings please email Tchagra Trails on: email@example.com
- Five-night walking guide workshop at R 7000 per person
- Three-night/four-day Backpack/Primitive Trails at R 4500
- In-house/lodged based (Noelle comes to you)
- Full day at R 1500
- ½ day at R 750
Available Dates for 2024 (Balule Nature Reserve Only):
- 4th – 9th Five-night Walking Guide workshop
- 28th – 31st Three-night Backpack/Primitive trail
- 25th – 28th Three-night Backpack/Primitive trail
- 6th – 9th Three-night Backpack/Primitive trail
Track & Sign and Trailing Course and Assessment (Madikwe Game Reserve only)
Please contact Tchagra Trails on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on the course, assessment, and the cost of the workshop.
- 10th – 20th Track & Sign and Trailing prep course.
Wilderness Walking Guide 10-day Course (Balule Nature Reserve Only)
Please contact Tchagra Trails on email@example.com for more information on the course and what is involved.
Course cost at R 15000 pp
- 10th – 25th 10-day Walking Guide course
- 18th – 28th 10-day Walking Guide course
Please book your assessment and assessment date with Tchagra Trails directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- FGASA Nature Site Guide NQF2 at R 1500
- FGASA Field Guide NQF4 at R 2500
- Trails Guide NQF2/4 at R 2500
- 10-hour mentored evaluation for Apprentice Trails Guides at R 1000
Attention all trails guides! Jack Htuchinson an accredited FGASA Trails Guide Mentor is offering Mentored Trails to help with experience and hours.
Join Jack on foot in the wild
• 2 Mentored walks with rifles
• May or may not include lodge guests
Price: R1500.00 per person per night
Contact Jack directly for more information, visit his Instagram account here to learn more.