HOW TO ATTAIN A FGASA QUALIFICATION?
There are different criteria and requirements for the various certificates and qualifications you can attain through FGASA. Find the relevant certificate or qualification you require information on and click on the icon. There you will find a brief overview and a link to the specific FGASA Qualification or Certificate Brochure for detailed information.
FGASA CERTIFICATE AWARDED
You will be awarded the appropriate FGASA Certificate when:
- The FGASA office has proof that you have been declared competent in the theoretical and the practical assessments and this has been moderated.
- All your required FGASA fees are fully paid up for the current year.
- You have submitted a copy of a valid (current) recognised First Aid certificate to the FGASA Johannesburg office. (Trackers do not need to have a First Aid certificate)
21 YEARS OF AGE TO OBTAIN A PrDp (Professional Driving permit)
- If a tourist guide is going to be transporting passengers (guests/visitors) in motor-vehicle s/he must be in possession of a valid PrDp.
- The PrDp is valid for two years and thus needs to be renewed before expiry.
- In order to attain a PrDp a guide has to be 21 years of age, thus if a learner qualifies and registers with National Department of Tourism and s/he is under the age of 21, the guided experiences conducted by such a guide can only be by means of walking, bicycle, canoe, horse, and any other means other than driving a motor-vehicle of any kind with people.
- It is important that learners who are striving to be guides are aware that they cannot conduct guided experiences while driving a motor-vehicle until they have turned 21 years of age and then attain a PrDp licence.
- It is important that all FGASA endorsed training providers make sure that any prospective learner (potential course attendee) is fully aware of the legal requirements pertaining to transporting people in a motor-vehicle for guiding purposes and that their age (if under 21) could prohibit them from employment if the job requirements include conducting guided experiences that involve driving a motor-vehicle.