Membership Overview Benefits of membership with FGASA
Who can become a member of FGASA?
- Qualifications: Qualifications are of a recognised and respected standard.
- Assessments: Practical assessments are conducted at a professional level.
- FGASA bookshop: Members are entitled to buy books at discounted prices.
- E-Magazine & Newsletter: Members are kept informed by an online colour tri-annual magazine and an on-line newsletter.
- Website: Informative website with up to date membership, qualifications and exam results.
- Learner support: Professional support available to all FGASA learners.
- Job market: Provide members with job market information.
Anybody can become a FGASA member but you must be able to communicate in English. For Adult membership you need to be over the age of 18. (This is in order to write the exams and be practically assessed)
The Junior membership is for school learners including categories for both Primary and High school learners. (Certificates are issued on successful completion of workbooks) Membership is for anybody who would like to:
How do I become a member of FGASA?
- Follow a career in Field guiding
- Improve their knowledge of wildlife, conservation and culture
- Gain a recognised guiding qualification
- Support the development of professional guides
- Gain a recognised Tracker qualification
- Attain a specialist guiding qualification
- Register with Department of Tourism as a legal guide
- Online Membership Registration - Click Here
- Download South African Application - Download
- Download International Application - Download
- Obtain a Membership Application (post, fax or email form from) from FGASA
- The application form can be collected at the Johannesburg office- View Contact Details
Complete the application form by filling out all the required details.Sign the FGASA Code of Conduct attached to the application form Compulsory. Pay the FGASA registration fee and the annual subscription fee to the relevant account indicated on the Application form. IF YOU WANT TO JOIN AS AN ASSOCIATE NON-GUIDE MEMBER AND COMPLETE SOME OF THE FGASA KNOWLEDGE CERTIFICATES THEN PLEASE COMPLETE THE ASSOCIATE MEMBER APPLICATION FORMS. How do I make a payment to FGASA?
Fees may be paid online or directly into the FGASA bank account. Please do not send cash by post. It can get lost or stolen, and we cannot take any responsibility for lost cash. First National Bank account details:Branch code:
260 231Account no:
6249 6791 346SWIFT code:
FIRNZAJJ (international payments only)Ref:
Your membership number Payments
If you pay money directly into the FGASA bank account, please ensure that the following is written on the slip:
- Your name and/or FGASA membership number (if you are already a member)
- Fax/email slip through to the FGASA office: +27 (0)11 – 886 8084, preferably together with a form or a note explaining what the money is for.
From time to time money has been paid into the FGASA account with no indication whatsoever who the money is from or what it is for. We have no option but to regard these funds as donations to the Association. Please do not use references such as exam payment, or annual subs. There is no way for us to know who paid in this money. Renewal of membership (annual subscription payment)
What do I get once I have joined FGASA?
- Registration fees are a once-off payment.
- Subscription fees are renewable on a yearly basis.
- Membership is valid for one calendar year from the date you join the Association (for example; the month of March of one year to March of the next year).
- Membership renewal reminders are emailed the month before your membership expires.
As soon as your application form and relevant payment (with proof of payment) for registration and membership has been processed by the FGASA Johannesburg office you will receive the following:
- A General Information Guide
- A Field Guiding Log book (Guide member only)
- Field Guide learner Support Pack and Workbook (Guide member only)
- Field Guide Learner Manual (Guide member only)
- Guiding Skills Manual (Guide member only)
Membership Cards and Certificates are only issued once you have attained a FGASA qualification (Both theoretical and practical competence).