We are looking for a dedicated, committed, hard working, passionate Junior Guide for a work opportunity in our lion and rhino conservation monitoring programme in the Selati Game Reserve. It is a very good opportunity as the guide will not only guide, but it will develop research and analysis skills. The guide will have the objective to monitor and track the Selati lions, rhinos, elephants, leopards and collect data on other species, with the help of the volunteers that join our project.
The role involves:
• Normal Game Drive to specifically monitor our lions but also elephant, leopards and white rhinos
• Specifically monitor the rhinos and help in granting their security
• Farm management activities
• Koppie climbing with the volunteers
• Bush walks with the volunteers
• Data insert and analysis
• Writing weekly, monthly and annual reports for the reserve
• Creation of ID kits on lions, elephants, leopards, rhinos and spotted hyenas
• House works
• The guide will be on duty on a rotary basis with the other guides for the duration of 1 week
• Give FGASA lectures to our volunteers once a week on a rotary basis with the other staff members
• FGASA Level 1 (Theory and Practical completed)
• FULL Trails Guide qualification (preferred)
• SASSETA rifle competency certificate and government certificate.
• Valid DEAT registration
• Valid PDP license
• Valid First Aid certificate
• Previous experience as Field Guide or in similar research and monitoring environment will be and advantage
• Computer literacy skills including Excel, Word
• Fluent in English, spoken and written.
• Positive, passionate attitude.
Other skills/experience required:
- 4x4 and off-road driving experience.
- Ability to work in a team where both team and own responsibilities must be carried out.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to interact with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Excellent organisational skills, punctuality, commitment and precision
- Passion and knowledge for fauna and flora of the Lowveld region.
- Pro-activity, self-motivation, flexibility
Start date: End of April-May
Duration: 1 year with the possibility of renewal
Trial period: 2 months
Phone Number: Koos +27 83 334 7225 or +27 79 877 2717