THE FGASA JOB MARKET
GUIDE - WELGEDACHT (2013/12/06)
We are looking to employ a Game Ranger to join our team on our Game Reserve. We are situated on the southern boundary of the Dinokeng Game Reserve, and are about 50 kms from Pretoria and about 30 kms from Sefako Mkgatho drive (old Zambesi Drive). We will also consider newly qualified candidates. Please forward CV to firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 082 451 3579 and we can arrange to meet.
FIELD GUIDE - JANE GOODALL INSTITUTE (2013/12/02)
The Jane Goodall Institute South Africa is looking for a guide for our Chimp Eden Sanctuary in Nelspruit area, Mpumalanga.
Male or female
Matric Grade 12
University qualification in Zoology, Nature Conservation etc. will be an strong advantage
Qualified FGASA Level 1 or higher
Valid driver’s license
First Aid certification
Fluent in English, both read and write. Other languages will be an advantage
Experience as a guide, animal field work, will be an advantage
Salary to be confirmed
Please ensure that the following information is on your submitted CV:
Dates of employment if relevant
A list of duties you were responsible for
The reason you left / want to leave (for each position)
Which province/s you are registered in
Your up-to-date qualifications (FGASA levels, first aid etc)
Your last salary (basic, and if you earned tips or commission, and if you are living-in)
Your expected Salary
Photograph of yourself
Written References if you have any / OR contactable references
FIELD GUIDE / GAME RANGER – PRIVATE WHOLE OWNER LODGE IN THE MABULA PRIVATE GAME RESERVE – LIMPOPO (2013/11/14)
A private game lodge, 3 rooms, 6 guests max, situated in the Mabula Private Game Reserve near Bela Bela in Limpopo seeks the services of an experienced child friendly field guide to manage the day to day running of the lodge and ensure that an all-encompassing wild life experience is offered to all the guests. An opportunity exists for a couple – with the spouse taking on the day to day cleaning function of the lodge.
A minimum at least 1 years’ experience in a similar lodge environment
Minimum of FGASA 1 or 2 (theory and assessment)
Valid First Aid Certificate
Valid South African Driver's Code 8 licence and PDP
Computer Literate (an advantage)
Non smoker with sober habits.
Duties include -
Basic vehicle maintenance
Day to day management of the lodge
Guest hosting and liaison with guests
Excellent communication skills in English,
Knowledge of the bush and birds in the lowveld region
People skills are essential as are the preparedness to work flexible hours.
Accommodation in the Rangers Cottage, uniforms and tips
Salary – Ranger (R4000 – R5000 per month depending on experience)
Cleaner (±R2500 per month)
Please send your detailed and up to date CV to
Fax: 011 824-4865
VOLUNTEER - LION AND BLACK RHINO VOLUNTEER MONITORING PROGRAMME (2013/12/02)
We are looking for a dedicated, committed, hard working, passionate Junior Guide for a work opportunity in our lion and rhino conservation monitoring programme in the Selati Game Reserve. It is a very good opportunity as the guide will not only guide, but will develop research, organization and analysis skills. The guide will have the objective to monitor and track the Selati lions, rhinos, elephants, leopards and collect data on other species, with the help of the volunteers that join our project. The role involves:
• Game Drives to specifically monitor our lions but also elephant, leopards and white rhinos
• Specifically monitor the black rhinos and help in granting their security
• Farm management activities
• Koppie climbing with the volunteers
• Bush walks with the volunteers
• Data insert and analysis
• Writing weekly, monthly and annual reports for the reserve
• Creation of ID kits on lions, elephants, leopards, rhinos and spotted hyenas
• House works
• Give FGASA talks to our volunteers once a week on a rotary basis with the other staff members
• FGASA Level 1 (Theory and Practical completed)
• FULL Trails Guide qualification (preferred)
• SASSETA rifle competency certificate and government certificate
• Valid DEAT registration
• Valid PDP license
• Valid First Aid certificate
• Previous experience as Field Guide or in similar research and monitoring environment will be an advantage
• Computer literacy skills including Excel, Word, Power point, Mapping programme
• Fluent in English, spoken and written
• Positive, passionate attitude and sense of responsibility.
Other skills/experience required: - 4x4 and off-road driving experience. - Ability to work in a team where both team and own responsibilities must be carried out. - Excellent communication skills and the ability to interact with people from diverse backgrounds. - Excellent organization skills, punctuality, commitment and precision - Pro-activity, self-motivation, flexibility
Start date: Beginning of January
Duration: 1 year with the possibility (and serious intention) of renewal - we are looking for a long term position
Trial period: 3 months
30 working days - 5 days of leave Salary: R2500 per month (all Food and accommodation at base included)
Contacts: email@example.com Phone Number: Sabrina +27 79 877 2717
FIELD GUIDE - MPALA SAFARI LODGE (2013/12/02)
Mpala Safari lodge is looking for a qualified Field Guide to join our small team on Balule Parsons Game Reserve, located on the Olifants river.
This is a permanent position (6 weeks on & 2 weeks off) including accommodation & meals . We offer a competitive salary to the right candidate with at least the following:
FGASA Level 1
Back-up Trails Guide
1st Aid certificate
Valid PDP licence
Duties are not limited to bushwalks & game drives only as we offer various excursions to our guests outside the reserve.
Guest communications skills are vital as you will be hosting & dining with guests. The right candidate will be responsible, service orientated & flexible to help with maintenance & other duties.
Interviews to be conducted in January in the Hoedspruit area.
Please send your CV & photo of yourself to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We are looking forward in hearing from you.
INSTRUCTOR - THE NATURE COLLEGE (2013/11/08)
Instructor required by The Nature College ( www.naturecollege.co.za )
Minimum FGASA 2/ NQF 4 Field guiding with experience
Conservation qualification a bonus
Computer literate (Word, Excel and Power point)
Lecturing Skills a requirement
Dedicated to a career in training
Send CV to email@example.com
FIELD GUIDE RESEARCH ASSISTANT - WILDLIFE AND ECOLOGICAL INVESTMENTS (2013/11/04)
The candidate will be assisting with bird surveys, game transects, and habitat analyses as part of the field research programmes hosted by Wildlife & Ecological Investments in South Africa.
1. Leading groups in the field to collect data on bird and game diversity.
2. Leading detailed habitat assessments.
3. Leading game drives.
4. Supervising daily schedules and camp activities.
5. Assisting with food and fuel orders for the camp.
6. Leading training sessions to ensure that students have a basic understanding of the bush and surrounding environment (e.g. briefings on animal behaviour, interpreting tracks and signs, star gazing etc.).
7. Leading debates in controversial conservation topics such as elephant management and trophy hunting.
• FGASA Level 1 or higher.
• Valid driver’s licence.
• Professional Drivers Permit (PDP).
• First Aid accreditation.
• Ability to interact with volunteers (college and undergraduate university students) in the field.
• The candidate must have the ability to identify (by sight and sound) all common bird and tree species in area of operation which they are applying to work in.
• Minimum 2 years experience in the field.
• No previous research experience is needed as all Research Assistants will be given training in relevant research methods.
• A weekly wage will be paid. All meals, camp accommodation, on site transport and park fees are also provided.
1. Masebe Game Reserve
• 25 November - 22 December 2013
• 5 January - 2 February 2014
To apply, please contact and send your CV to:
FIELD GUIDE/RESEARCH ASSISTANT POSITION - MOGALAKWENA RESEARCH CENTRE (2013/10/24)
| Description |
Mogalakwena Research Centre and 4* River Lodge, situated on the Mogalakwena River Reserve, is looking for a field guide to manage and conduct guest activities (walks, drives, birding, excursions and possible future activities) as well as to assist Mogalakwena Research Centre with ecological research projects, students, volunteers and researchers.
The package includes:
- Single housing, water and electricity (en-suite)
- 1x cooked meal/day
- Monthly salary to be confirmed
Education and qualifications:
- Matric/ Grade 12
- Fluent in English (speaking, writing and reading)
- FGASA Level 1
- DEAT/ THETA Registered
- Valid PDP driver’s license
- First Aid level 1
- Minimum 1 year experience as a Field Guide
- Good understanding of general lodge operations
- Volunteer and student work experience beneficial
-Environmental education experience with different age groups is beneficial
- Wildlife/Environmental research experience (BSc/Nature conservation Diploma or a similar qualification) advantageous
- Excellent guest relations & hosting skills
- Excellent communication & organizational skills
- Hard-working, reliable and honest
- Flexible to differing working conditions and able to perform well under pressure
- Comfortable working independently or in group situations
- Comfortable living in a remote location
- 4x4 (off-road) driving experience
- To assist with the collection, cataloguing and interpretation of data on ecological research projects conducted through the Research Centre
- Developing and managing of own research project
- To provide support to visiting volunteers/students/researchers by assisting with their daily programme, fieldwork and laboratory work.
- Providing knowledge and information on study species and resources, and assisting with the use of research centre equipment.
- To assist student groups, volunteers and researchers during their stay in Mogalakwena Bush Camp
- Managing the daily running, basic maintenance and upkeep of the Mogalakwena Bush Camp.
- To liaise with River Lodge guests to manage activity bookings and conduct wildlife and cultural based activities and excursions.
- To manage and maintain walking trails and equipment used for interpretive guest activities
- To help create and develop new activity programmes for guests and visitors
- Basic maintenance and upkeep of Game Viewing vehicle
www.researchlimpopo.com and www.mogalakwena.com for more information.
Please forward your CV and cover letter to:
Mogalakwena Research Centre Manager
FIELD GUIDE/GROUNDS MANAGER (2013/10/18)
| |We are looking for a Game Ranger with the following qualifications ASAP.
- FGASA Level 1 (Min)
- Min 1 year experience
- Must have a PDP license.
- Male or female.
- Good references.
- Salary negotiable depending on qualification
Saragossa Lodge (not a Big 5 reserve), Near Waterval Boven, Mpumalanga
No star grading yet, but should be 4star, 9 rooms, 18 pax Responsibilities
• Guest activities (walks, drives, birding, fishing)
• Hosting duties
• Grounds maintenance
• Wildlife and conservation management
• Alien vegetation fighting
• Replanting of indigenous trees from our nursery The package includes:
• Apartment (kitchen, lounge bedroom and bathroom), water and electricity
• Meals while on duty
• Monthly salary
• Tips Minimum Requirements:
Education and qualifications:
- Matric/ Grade 12
- Fluent in English
- FGASA Level 1
- DEAT/ THETA Registered
- PDP driver’s license
- First Aid level 1
- Firearm licence
- Min 1 year experience as a Field Guide
- Wildlife management
- Ability to impart relevant knowledge to guests and staff
- Excellent guest relation skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Flexible to working conditions and working well under pressure
- Comfortable working independently
- Comfortable living in remote location
- 4x4 driving experience
Contact name: Riaan
Contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org
GUIDES NEEDED (2013/10/16)
I am a specialist recruiter for the Hospitality Section of my company, and I am currently looking for Guides of all levels for vacant positions with an immediate start.
If you are currently unemployed, or you would like to move to a new position this season, please respond with a copy of your CV.
If you would like to be placed on our database for future employment, please send your CV to: Sonja@pcs-sa.co.za
Please ensure that the following information is on your CV:
- Exact dates of employment at each company
- A list of duties you were responsible for
- The reason you left / want to leave (for each position)
- Which province/s your are registered in
- Your up-to-date qualifications (FGASA levels, Trails, Back up Trails etc) and all the courses you have completed (Birding, Snakes etc as well as First Aid, etc)
- Rifle competency
- If you have a preference for type of establishment you would like to work in
- Your last salary (basic , and if you earned tips or commission, and if you are living-in)
- Your expected Salary
- Notice Period
- Photograph of yourself
- Written References if you have any / OR contactable references
If you are looking for couples positions, please include your partner’s CV, and ensure the above is also on that. If your partner is not a ranger, please indicate which position you are applying for.
Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to email me.
LECTURER POSITION - BUSHWISE FIELD GUIDES, GUIDE TRAINING ACADEMY(2013/10/16)
min R9000, based on experience and qualifications (incl. accommodation) Location:
South Africa - Limpopo Start date:
03 January 2014 Job Description:
Bushwise field guide (http://www.bushwise.co.za/
) is an accredited FGASA training provider offering a one year and six month guide training programmes. This position offers a great opportunity for passionate, professional guides to further their own knowledge and enhance other skills that are required to be an outstanding trainer/ facilitator. The role involves:
- Training learners in the form of class room based tutorials and,
- Applying the knowledge practically in the bush.
- Conducting game drives and walks with the learners.
- Ensuring strict health and safety protocol in the field and at base.
- Other duties to do regarding course outlines or maintenance around campus. This will be discussed with you and will be dependant on your skills. Skills and Minimum Qualifications Required:
- Valid drivers licence with PrDP
- Valid first aid certificate.
- SASSETA rifle competency certificate and government certificate.
- Trails Guide Qualification (theory exam and practical assessment).
- minimum of FGASA level 2 theory and both practical assessments
- Fluent in English spoken and written.
- Positive passionate attitude.
- DEAT registered. Other skills/experience required
- Minimum two years guiding in a big 5 area.
- 4x4 and off-road driving experience.
- Ability to work in a team where both team and own responsibilities must be carried out.
- Previous training experience an advantage
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to interact with people from diverse back grounds.
- Excellent organisational skills.
- Passion for fauna and flora of the Lowveld region.
- Pro-activity, self-motivation, flexibility and excellent
- People skills are essential as are the preparedness to work flexible hours. Contact name:
Charles Contact email: email@example.com Another Great Opportunity Brought to you by Guides and Trackers Direct
FIELD GUIDE - ITAGA LODGE (2013/10/11)
We are currently looking for a single male game ranger/professional hunter/general maintenance knowledge. He has to have Fgasa level 1/2, trails guide, DEAT, ARH. He needs to start working on the 1st of November or earlier. Salary is neg.
Send CVs to firstname.lastname@example.org
The new MOI for your consideration, please download the PDF here.
Please note that FGASA will be closing for the December holidays on the 6 of December 2013 and opening again on the 13th of January 2014.
Dear FGASA member
The November newsletter attached for your interest. Please download the pdf.