THE FGASA JOB MARKET
LODGE ASSISTANT/ RANGER - BONWA PHALA LODGE (2015/04/21)
|Single Male / Student |
Ability to assist with maintenance of lodge, chalets and Vehicles
Presentable with excellent communication skills – Hosting of guests
Drivers Licence / PDP advantage
Be willing to learn
Bela Bela, Limpopo.
Contact Marina at email@example.com
FIELD GUIDE - JANE GOODALL INSTITUTE (2015/04/15)
|The Jane Goodall Institute South Africa is looking for a guide for our Chimp Eden Sanctuary in Nelspruit area, Mpumalanga. |
Male or female, mid twenties or older
Matric Grade 12
University qualification in Zoology, Nature Conservation etc. will be an strong advantage
Qualified FGASA Level 1 or higher
A rifle competency certificate
Valid driver’s license
First Aid certification
Fluent in English, both read and write. Other languages will be an advantage
Experience as a guide, animal field work, will be an advantage
Salary to be confirmed
Please ensure that the following information is on your submitted CV:
Dates of employment if relevant
A list of duties you were responsible for
The reason you left / want to leave (for each position)
Which province/s you are registered in
Your up-to-date qualifications (FGASA levels, first aid etc)
Your last salary (basic, and if you earned tips or commission, and if you are living-in)
Your expected Salary
Photograph of yourself
Written References if you have any / OR contactable references
Please send CV's to firstname.lastname@example.org
LEVEL 3 GUIDE - BO TRAVAIL (2015/04/16)
For a television documentary to be filmed in June in South Africa, focusing on Human/Animal relationship in South Africa,
"BO TRAVAIL!", a french production company, is currently looking for a fixer, ie. a local guide/translator/logistics manager.
His task will be to guide the production crew all around South Africa, and in general take care of all logistics (food, accomodation, car) so the production crew can focus on the actual filming.
We also need someone with a passion for nature and animals, charisma, and willing to be on camera at some point, because the candidate will probably have to serve as a character in the documentary.
The ideal candidate should have:
-FGASA level 3
-enough experience as a tour guide.
-be willing to prepare lunches, organize last minute accomodation if needed, drive the car.
-be willing to serve as camera assistant: carry tripod around if needed, etc.
-language skills: african languages (Xhosa, Zoulou, Sotho), afrikaans.
-organizational skills: the person will have to make the phone calls each day to prepare the following days shoots, and will also have to collect all expenses slips.
And, to top it all, be a 'cool' guy, because it will be one full month of intense work, on a 24h basis with the production crew!
Salary to be discussed with the production.
Position available: month of June, possibly 2 or 3 weeks in May for prep work, and possibly a few days in July for translation work.
Contct Julie Naar via email email@example.com
GUIDES - KAPAMA (2015/04/08)
We are on the lookout for 3 x Field guides and one Head Guide in various lodges around Kapama Game Reserve, Can you maybe offer any assistance with an advertisement on the FGASA website again? Your help would be much appreciated 3 x Guides : Minimum Qualifications:
• FGASA level 1 - Nature Guide
• Valid PDP
• Valid First aid
• Rifle Competency / SAPS clearance
• DEAT registered
• South African Citizens ONLY The following would be an huge advantage.:
• Full Trails Qualifications - Lead Rifle (or at least back - up)
• FGASA 2 / 3
• Relevant Experience in similar positions
Salary range between R48 000 to R72 000 per annum - depending on experience and qualifications (Live in) 1 x Head Ranger : Minimum Qualifications
• FGASA level 2 Minimum
• Valid PDP
• Valid First aid
• Rifle Competency / SAPS clearance
• DEAT registered
• Full Trails Qualifications - Lead Rifle
• 2 Years relevant experience in Head Guide position with contactable references
• South African Citizens ONLY
• Excellent people management skills
• Mature with sound leadership skills The following would be an advantage.:
• FGASA 3 / SKS / Specialists
Salary range between R 72 000 to R 85 000 per annum (Negotiable) - depending on experience and qualifications (Live- In)
Please send CV to:
Johan Esterhuizen at Johan.Esterhuizen@kapama.co.za
WILDLIFE MANAGER - MEYERSDAL ECO ESTATE (2015/04/03)
Meyersdal Eco Estate is looking for a wildlife manager on an internship basis. The Eco Estate is a 450 hectare residential estate with approximately 250 head of game, excluding any major predators.
Duties would include:
• Managing all aspects of fauna and flora
• Following an environmental management plan
• Arranging environmental awareness programmes for residents, eg bird walks, stargazing evenings, mammal programmes
• Co-coordinating yearly game capture and relocation
• Ongoing veld assessments and grazing capacity calculations
• Alien plant eradication programme
FGASA Level/s or suitable qualification is necessary, and the salary is negotiable according to experience and qualifications.
No accommodation is available on the estate, but transport is provided on site.
To apply, please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org together with your contact details.
FIELD GUIDE - SINGITA KRUGER NATIONAL PARK LEBOMBO & SWENI LODGES (2015/04/03)
A field guide provides a core service to the lodge/s, which is in effect the department’s “customer”. The field guides are fully responsible for conducting guided safari experiences at Singita that are unique, personalized, professional and enjoyable, and are accountable to the Head Ranger for the delivery of such experiences to the guests.
The main purpose of the field guide is to ensure that an all-encompassing wildlife experience is offered to every guest with the focus on catering to the specific needs of each individual guest. The entire experience should be delivered with humility, professionalism and flexibility, with the end result being an educational experience for all. The guiding service should be delivered with an uncompromising sensitivity towards the environment. Field guides are expected to be involved in an ongoing process of self –improvement and knowledge enhancement. They are responsible for their own continuous education and that of their tracker.
Game drive vehicles and related equipment are to be well-maintained and cared for at all times, in line with the required Singita Standards. Finally, field guides need to ensure that there is effective communication with lodge management in terms of all guest and guiding requirements. This position is accountable to the Head Guide.
Scope of work:
1. Ensures the highest quality of game experience for the guests.
2. Hosts guests in line with the Singita Standard of Excellence.
3. Shows an exceptional appreciation and sensitivity to the environment at all times.
4. Ensures that guest and staff safety is always a priority.
5. Communicates with Front of House staff to ensure the best possible experience for guests.
6. Conscientious maintenance and care of vehicles and related equipment.
7. Carries out administration duties timeously and effectively.
8. Undertakes a process of continuous education of self and other members of staff.
9. Achieves service excellence though Teamwork.
As such the person filling this position needs to have:
• A minimum of 2 years work experience as a field guide in a similar lodge environment
• A level 2 FGASA qualification or higher with theory and practical completed
• Registered with DEAT and THETA in terms of improving his/her qualifications
• Passed the Kruger National Park rifle assessment as well as the trails guide examination
• Trails guide certificate
• Valid first aid certificate
• SASSETA Certificates
• A valid South African Code 8 Driver’s license and PDP
• Signed Singita Driver’s Code of Conduct
• Excellent communication and people handling skills
• An inherent passion for observing, sharing and learning about wildlife
• The ability to work on his/her own with enthusiasm
• Flexible in that he/she is willing to change plans on the spur of the moment and is willing to innovate in the interests of the guest and the company
• Confident but humble
• Co-operative – and keen to work with the balance of the team in the interests of the lodge and the guests
• Organized – with attention to detail and time
• A developmental approach to his/her staff and colleagues
• Professional and neat in personal appearance and image
Standard Company Benefits:
Cost to Company Package
Provident Fund – Alexander Forbes
Medical Aid – Discovery Health
Please forward your CV and motivational letter for the above mentioned position to Andrea van Alphen at email@example.com
OVERLAND CREW - CAPE TOWN (2015/03/23)
Well established overland company in Cape Town is now recruiting…
We are looking for young dynamic people to be Drivers (C + Pdp),
Trip Leaders & Safari Cooks to travel throughout Southern Africa.
FGASA registered guides preferred, but not a requirement
Full in-house training will be provided
valid Passport is compulsory.
Please send you CV with copy of certificates to:
TOUR LEADER WITH PHOTOGRAPHIC EXPERIENCE - AFRICA-IN-FOCUS (2015/03/13)
An overland company is seeking a tour leader with photographic experience. It is a very exciting opportunity involving constant travel and hard work. We cover Southern and Eastern Africa. Please view our experience and skills criteria below:
• Should have FGASA level 1, guiding experience is preferable.
• Must have photographic experience.
• Should be able to handle groups of 16 to 25 people.
• Must be responsible.
We require an individual who will maintain the professional image of the company whilst performing tour leader duties to perfection.
• Problem solving skills and ability to work under pressure.
There will be times when you will need to think on your feet and change schedules, bookings or arrange for medical care etc.
• Ability to use Microsoft Excel or other preferred accounting method.
• Must be proficient in English. Proficiency in additional languages will be a bonus.
• Must be a people person! Clients will want to engage with you throughout a trip.
• This is a professional job, not a party
We will not tolerate intoxicated, violent or in any way offensive behaviour
• Must be a happy camper (literally, we camp in tents and cold showers aren't unheard of).
• Must be able to work in a team.
You will work with two other crew members, a chef and a driver.
• Trustworthy, friendly and very passionate about travel and the outdoors.
• Must have own digital camera and cell phone.
• Must commit for a FULL SEASON (1 year) after passing assessment during a training trip.
• Must have a valid passport and yellow fever card.
Tour Leader duties include:
- Leading the tour, confirming bookings and ensuring the general smooth running of the tour.
- Assisting clients with their cameras and presenting photo-lectures.
- Keeping accurate records of tour expenditures and managing the budget.
- Entertaining clients to a degree and providing wildlife / cultural / photographic information throughout the tour.
- Assisting the chef with food shopping and kitchen organization.
We look forward to hearing from you.
ASSISTANT LODGE MANAGER – WELGEVONDEN (2015/03/03)
| |Looking for a manager to manage a privately owned lodge situated in Welgevonden Private Game Reserve. Live in position, no dependants. Salary and medical aid.
Must be able to manage all aspects of such a property.
Assistant Lodge Manager role will be responsible to manage the following:
- Ability to assist with and manage the maintenance of the lodge – chalets – vehicles – main lodge and all that goes with this
- Ability to cook – chef – able to prepare menu plans, change variety to suit different guests and budget and plan
- Ability to work under supervision and be able to delegate too
- Must be able to live on site
- Previous hospitality experience advantageous
- Single pref – cannot take your partner or kids to the job site
- Driver’s license
Please call Ina on (011) 442-4503 or send your CV’s to firstname.lastname@example.org
LIMPOPO LUXURY GAME FARM IN VAALWATER (2015/03/03)
We are currently looking for young, dynamic newly qualified individuals with strong personalities and the ability to work under pressure of client demands.
• FGASA Level 1 & DEAT Registered
• First Aid Certificate
• Valid driver’s license with valid public drivers licence
• Fire arm proficiency certificate (with SASSETA)
• Previous training experience will be beneficial
Duration: 1 Year with intention of renewal
One weekend off per month
Salary depending on experience, qualifications.
Housing can be provided for single person, sharing with two housemates.
We are looking for an enthusiastic person to assist with the practical aspects of the running of a Game Farm. The person should have a “can do” attitude and be prepared to tackle any of the multitude of issues that arise on a Game Farm. A mechanical and practical aptitude is consequently a prerequisite. Candidate needs to be resourceful and well organized
Responsibilities will include all basic infrastructure maintenance (Vehicles, road and fences), water reticulation and infrastructure maintenance, basic building and structures maintenance, upkeep and integrity of waterholes. Planning and organising game counts and capture if so required. Assisting guests with hunting and game drives. Will be responsible to manage current exotic game breeding program. Game health program, parasite control in relation with vet. Any other duties as required by management
The position offers the successful applicant hands on experience with the practical side of conservation.
An initial probation period of three (3) months will apply.
Interested candidates can sent CV to: email@example.com
Interviews will be conducted in Vaalwater or Johannesburg.
FIELD GUIDE – BUSHMANS KLOOF – WESTERN CAPE (2015/03/03)
Bushmans Kloof Wilderness Reserve and Wellness Retreat is situated in the Cederberg close to Clanwilliam. It is a five star Relais and Chateaux Reserve. There exists a vacancy for a Junior Field Guide at the Lodge.
Candidates must have the following:
FGASA Level 1
Valid First Aid
Valid DEAT registration in the WC
Be highly presentable with excellent communication skills
Knowledge of Bushman Rock Art and Fynbos will be advantageous
The following package is offered:
24 day on and 8 day off work cycle
On site shared self-catering accommodation
Laundry and Wifi
Market related salary
50% Discovery medical aid
Please email all cv’s to Pieter van Dyk at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that shortlisted candidates must be able to come to the lodge for an interview.
MLILWANE WILDLIFE SANCTUARY - CHUBEKA TRAILS MANAGER (REF: BGP2015/001) (2015/02/18)
The Kingdom of Swaziland’s conservation pioneers, Big Game Parks, have the following exiting vacancy available. This position is situated at Mlilwane Wildlife Sanctuary, Malkerns, Swaziland. Applicants that meet the requirements are invited to apply in the manner prescribed below. Successful candidates will be required to reside in Swaziland.
Reports to: Operations Manager, Head of Tourism
Grade 12 certificate or equivalent
Advanced computer literacy essential
Adventure Guide or related qualification necessary, FGASA preferable
Equine Management, Training and/or Behaviour qualification or good experience essential
Valid Driver’s License & Driving competence essential
Hospitality / tourism related qualification advantageous
Fluency in English essential, siSwati advantageous
Equine proficiency, management, training, medical and nutrition experience essential
Trail Management and maintenance experience including hiking, horse trials and mountain biking
Sound conservation ethics and eco-tourism guiding experience essential, organization and management of multi-day trails
Staff management and training
Proven track record in people and project management
Ability to work unsupervised – initiative and duty prioritization
Report writing, time keeping, record management, statistics collection
Experience in dealing with international clientele
Operational management of Chubeka Trails
Stable Management & Horse Training - including nutrition and medical – 35+ horses and staff
Trail maintenance and development
Standards maintenance and improvement
Administration and Record maintenance
Maintenance of department assets – equipment, trails & horses
Ensuring compliance with company policies and regulations, provide recommendations on product development
Budget and procurement management and development
Relationship within the organization and with clients where appropriate
Staff training and management
A detailed CV is to accompany your application letter. Only short listed candidates will be contacted within 30 days of the deadline. All applications are to be addressed to the Operations Manager and sent via email to email@example.com No faxed or posted applications will be accepted. CLEARLY state the position you are applying for and include the reference number of the post as indicated next to the position. Remuneration will be determined based on qualifications and experience. Successful applicants will be subject to police vetting and medical clearance.
FIELD GUIDE - PILANESBERG PRIVATE LODGE (2015/02/18)
We have a position available for a male field guide between 21 and 25 of age.
It is a live in position.
FGASA level 1
Valid first aid
CV's can be addressed to Jacome Nothnagel
Cell nr. 072 442 1330 calls will be taken from 9:00 AM until 17:00